Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery includes corrective surgeries for a wide range of diseases, injuries and defects in the head, neck, face, jaws and the hard and soft tissues of the oral and maxillofacial region.
Oral and maxillofacial surgeons treat problems such as the extraction of wisdom teeth, misaligned jaws, tumours and cysts of the jaw and mouth, and perform dental implant surgeries. The scope of this speciality is extensive and concerns the diagnosis and treatment of diseases affecting the oral (mouth) and maxillofacial (face and neck) regions, including the following:
- Fractures of Maxillofacial Skeleton using low profile bone plates.
- Infective diseases of the Maxillofacial region.
- Correction of deformities of the Maxillofacial region (Orthognathic Surgery) Aesthetic Surgery.
- Tempero-mandibular joint diseases. Reconstructions of the joint.
- Benign Tumors of the jaws & oral cavity.
- Cystic lesions of the jaws and oral cavity.
- Diseases of the salivary gland.
- Functional & Aesthetic correction of deformities with distraction osteogenesis.
- Removal of malpositioned/ Impacted teeth.
- Alveolar ridge reconstruction/ dental implants.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (OMFS) frequently work alongside other specialists including dentists, orthodontists, prosthodontists, radiologists, pathologists, oncologists, ENT surgeons, neurosurgeons and plastic surgeons.